Africa Oil Corp. (“AOI” or the “Company”) believes sustainability to be essential and integral to our business strategy, our stakeholders and our shareholders.
We will undertake our business in line with good international practice related to health, safety and environmental management, and engage with our stakeholders in a fair, open, informed and transparent manner. We will operate in full compliance with the laws and regulations of the countries in which we are located, and work in accordance with good international practice.
Where we have operational control, all activities will be planned and implemented in accordance with the more stringent of national regulatory requirements and the Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability of the International Finance Corporation. Where we do not have operational control, we will work with our Operating Partners, to the extent possible, to ensure that activities are undertaken in a manner consistent with this Policy.
We will regularly review and report on progress and ensure that this Policy remains relevant to the needs of our stakeholders. We will also conduct regular audits of our activities to ensure compliance with these principles, policies and standards.
Further, we will strive for continual improvement by having executive and non-executive review of our sustainability performance. This performance will be communicated in a transparent manner to all relevant internal and external stakeholders.
Health, Safety & Wellbeing
We aim to provide a safe and healthy working environment for our employees, contractors, consultants, visitors, and aiming for zero harm in the workplace by committing to:
- Identifying the potential for accidents and incidents, conducting investigations to identify root causes and take appropriate remedial action to prevent them from reoccurring.
- Identifying, assessing and eliminating, as far as commercially reasonable, potential risks associated with our operation to employees, contractors, the environment and host communities.
- Providing appropriate health and safety induction and training for all new employees and contractors. Ensuring that all employees, contractors and partners receive the appropriate ongoing training and fully and clearly understand our health and safety standards and requirements.
- Ensuring the health and safety of host communities affected by our activities.
- Preparing for, and responding quickly to, any incidents or emergencies. Learning from such events and improving our health and safety management systems to prevent recurrences.
- Regularly setting and reviewing objectives and targets for improved Health and Safety performance.
- Complying with applicable and relevant legal and regulatory requirements, whilst seeking to undertake activities in accordance with good international practice.
- Developing our employees in all areas, giving them the knowledge and skills to enable them to perform their jobs in a safe manner.
- Developing effective Occupational and Community Health and Safety policies, procedures and guidelines where these are needed.
How we seek to achieve our Health & Safety goals is set out in more detail in the Company Health & Safety Policy, which supports the implementation of this Sustainability Policy.
We aim to provide a healthy and safe workplace in accordance with the applicable labour legislation of the countries within which we operate and in accordance with good international practice by:
- Ensuring all employees are provided with comprehensive task oriented safe work practice training where applicable.
- Not tolerating any discrimination, harassment or physical assault in the workplace.
- Basing employment on the principle of equal opportunity and fair treatment with no discrimination.
- Providing a complaint and grievance mechanism for internal and external use.
- Supporting equal opportunities through our activities.
- Treating all employees and contractors fairly.
- Selecting employees for employment based on their qualifications, experience and past performance in a transparent manner.
- Operating a strict zero drug and alcohol policy in the workplace.
- Providing appropriate employee training, and opportunities for continuing development.
- Not employing forced or child labour and using commercially reasonable means to ensure contractors and suppliers address these issues.
- Allowing employees freedom of association to join legal and non-prohibited organizations of their own choosing.
- Ensuring that working conditions and terms of employment are clearly documented and communicated to all employees.
- Foster technical links with local educational centres and, where possible, offer practical development training at our operations for local students.
This is supported by the Company Code of Business Conduct.
We aim to minimize the impact of our activities on the natural environment where the Company operates. To achieve this we will:
- Operate as responsible stewards in compliance with local legislative requirements and work in accordance with good industry practice.
- Avoid, minimize, mitigate or remediate the environmental impacts of our activities in accordance with the mitigation hierarchy.
- Improve efficiency where possible in the use of raw materials, energy and natural resources.
- Identify, monitor and where possible minimize emissions.
- Ensure any discharges to the natural environment meet relevant environmental standards.
- Minimise impacts on biodiversity and ecosystems.
- Maximise operational efficiency and enhance waste management through the promotion of recycling and reuse.
- Ensure diligence in responding to environmental incidents.
- Develop and maintain an Emergency Response Plan for the protection of our operating environment and the prevention of pollution.
- Decommission, reclaim and rehabilitate our sites in a timely manner in line with local legislative requirements.
- Provide environmental awareness training for all employees and contractors so that they can conduct their tasks and duties with a full comprehension of the environmental issues on site.
- Regularly set and review objectives and targets for improved environmental performance.
- Operate a formal Environment Management System (‘EMS’).
How we seek to achieve our environmental goals is set out in more detail in the Company Environmental Policy, which supports the implementation of this Sustainability Policy.
Climate Change and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
In order to contribute towards the goals of the Paris Agreement, our aim is to ensure that we integrate the monitoring management and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions into our activities, strategy and decision-making.
We will monitor, manage and report on climate-related risks and opportunities across our business, including greenhouse gas emissions in line with good industry practice by:
- Building the consideration of climate change risks and opportunities into our strategy, planning and business decision-making;
- Including assessment of greenhouse gas emissions in the evaluation and due diligence of investment opportunities;
- Working to influence Operating Partners to minimise emissions, where practicable and in line with host government policy, in both operations and design;
- Integrating responses to evolving climate-related risks into our corporate business strategy and the development of individual assets;
- Undertaking an annual review of our portfolio to assess its resilience to climate change scenarios;
- Developing a management strategy to ensure Africa Oil retains a long term sustainable value proposition;
- Implementation and monitoring of initiatives to reduce Africa Oil’s own direct greenhouse gas emissions, including the offsetting of residual greenhouse gas emissions;
- Developing performance reporting, in line with the recommendations of the Taskforce on Climate-
- Related Financial Disclosures and other key guidelines.
How we seek to achieve our greenhouse gas emissions management goals is set out in more detail in the Company Greenhouse Gas Emissions Management Policy, which supports the implementation of this Sustainability Policy.
Our Host Communities
We aim to assist the social and economic development of communities associated with our activities. We will achieve this by:
- Identifying all stakeholders.
- Respecting local cultures and community rights, and aiming to preserve or develop these, where possible, through our activities.
- Engaging regularly with identified stakeholders throughout the life of our activities, to build trust and mutually beneficial relationships with host communities.
- Liaising with national and local state authorities, community leaders, Non-Governmental
- Organizations, and other interested parties to identify and implement projects to benefit host communities.
- Minimizing adverse effects on host communities.
- Setting aside funds for social development initiatives to benefit communities associated with our projects.
- Developing a social management system and mechanism through which community issues can be raised and addressed.
How we seek to achieve our social performance goals is set out in more detail in the Company Stakeholder Engagement & Community Relations Polic,y which supports the implementation of this Sustainability Policy.
We aim to ensure that activities for which we are responsible respect and protect human rights as defined by international agreements and applicable codes of conduct.
We will achieve this by ensuring that our employees, suppliers, business partners and contractors to respect human rights and observe the highest standards of professional integrity as set out in the Company Code of Business Conduct.
How we seek to achieve our Human Rights goals is set out in more detail in the Company Human Rights Policy, which supports the implementation of this Sustainability Policy.
Governance & Stewardship
We will implement robust corporate governance practices by:
- Conducting business ethically and in accordance with Company policies.
- Reporting transparently our sustainability performance and impacts.
- Ensuring compliance with appropriate guidance and legislation on corporate governance.
- Ensuring that the company obtains and maintains all of the necessary permits and licenses for its activities.
- Compliance with the applicable environmental and other relevant laws in its countries of operation.
- Maintaining a comprehensive risk management process in line with good international practice that identifies and mitigates where possible all material company risks.
- Upholding the human rights of all individuals impacted by our operations including employees, contractors and external stakeholders.
- Requiring contractors and suppliers, where appropriate, to comply with Company standards.
This is supported by the Company Code of Business Conduct.
Application & Accountability
This Policy applies to Africa Oil Corp. and its subsidiary companies. The Company’s Chief Operating Officer has overall responsibility for the implementation and enforcement of this policy.
Senior leadership within the Company and its subsidiaries are accountable for the implementation of and adherence to this Policy.
The Company will develop an appropriate management system to implement this Policy, and measure performance as part of a process of continuous improvement.
The Company will work with its Operating Partners to support their use of management systems that are consistent with this Policy.
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for providing leadership and direction to achieve Company goals, targets and objectives and for implementation of the performance review process.
The Board of Directors will provide oversight of implementation of this Sustainability Policy.
This Policy will be communicated to our employees, contractors and relevant stakeholders. All employees and contractors are responsible for conducting their work in conformance with this Policy.